Thursday, May 24, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Melissa

Although I never met her, I prayed for Melissa Dockery every single day.  We both had breast cancer.  Just a week before I started treatment in the Fall of 2010, Melissa began treatment.  Our mutual friend, Anne, introduced us to each other via e-mail and Caring Bridge.  It shouldn't be this way, but Melissa died today.

My initial diagnosis was about the same as Melissa's, and we mostly e-mailed back and forth about our experiences with chemo and what was working for us to help with energy or nausea.  It was somewhat comforting to know another person going through similar treatment, and Melissa became a friend or a sort-of e-mail pen pal.
Within a couple of months, I learned our journeys were taking very different routes when they found Melissa also had esophageal cancer.

 As I continued and finished my breast cancer treatments, Melissa continued on with treatment after treatment for esophageal cancer which eventually took control of her body.  She kept such a positive attitude through it all.  In the midst of treatments, she traveled to New York City and also made a recent trip to San Diego with family, and she lived life to the fullest.   Melissa was smart, and as an ER doctor at UAMS, and she knew from her medical training that esophageal cancer was brutal and left no survivors.  She took advantage of the good times and focused on the people in her life, because she knew the most difficult times were ahead of her.
It has been a somber week for me as I have thought about Melissa and hospice, and it has taken me back to where we both were a year and a half ago.  I am very sad for Melissa's family, and I pray a peace that passes understanding for them as they deal with her loss.  I still say it just shouldn't happen this way when a person is still in the prime of working and living life.   But cancer isn't fair.

For the time that I knew you, I thank you for being the encourager that you were, Melissa.  You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment