Thursday, February 9, 2012

April 27, 2011

I saw my surgeon today so he could look at my port site and note how well it was healing. I'm a fast healer, and it honestly looks like an old wound already. I also had a suspicious mole removed (to me it was suspicious) and the biopsy came back benign. Don't know how I would have reacted had it been a bad report, but I didn't have to go there. After surgery and eight rounds of some pretty tough chemo, I feel that I shouldn't have anything remotely related to cancer in my system! Of course, I still "get" to undergo radiation treatments, and those are supposed to start next week.

I contacted the oncology office today to make sure we were still on go for my appointment tomorrow for the radiation treatment plan, and they said they are still without power and to call tomorrow to see if the power has been restored. We had some pretty horrible storms come through Tuesday night, and West Memphis was hit pretty hard. Many power lines, traffic lights, huge trees, signs, roofs, fences, etc. were down, and the flooding is unprecedented. Schools were closed in Marion and West Memphis due to flooding because many streets were unpassable.

I'm looking forward to a more restful night of sleep tonight after spending two nights first hunkered down in our safe place during the storms when the tornado sirens were sounding, and then trying to sleep without any power during both nights. We lost about 40 feet of our back yard fence during the storm, and you can look from the patio to the left and see the neighbor's fence two doors down that had blown into our nextdoor neighbor's yard, then almost the entire length of fence from that side blown over into our yard, and then two or three sections of fence blown from our yard into the neighbor's yard to our right. It's nothing that insurance won't take care of, and I'm thankful we are okay.

One thing I noticed last night during the quietness and darkness of the evening as Barry, Traci and I hollered out movie lines and scenarios for the others to "Name That Movie!", was that we were visiting and talking more to each other because all of our electronic devices were removed from our touch. The only contact we had with the outside world for hours was our cell phones, and we were thankful for those because we got storm updates from everyone. It was fun to laugh at and with each other during the stress of the storms.

My surgeon's nurse told me today at my check-up that I had beautiful skin, and it was a very sweet compliment. I told her it was easy to have beautiful skin that is free from wrinkles if you carry around extra collagen in your body like I do! It's nice to hear words of edification like that when you don't feel so "beautiful". I told Barry on Monday night when the storms were so bad (and I really shouldn't joke this way) that I put on my feminine gown and robe so that if I blew away and they found me in a tree somewhere, they wouldn't say, "We've found a woman over here, we think." We both laughed, but that's my weird sense of humor. I've been telling the girls at work that I had survived cancer, and I was pretty sure God would protect me from tornados and other natural disasters for some time to come as He's not through with me yet. So if you do see me in a tree somewhere, it just may be because I've climbed there and not because I was blown there!

No comments:

Post a Comment