Wednesday, February 8, 2012

November 9, 2010

It's been about a week since my last update, so I wanted to jot a note to let everyone know I'm doing well. I told someone today that my first two chemo treatments put me into a state of mild "flu" with achiness and fatigue, but those symptoms were gone after a few days, and I've been better and better each day--just waiting for my next chemo. My blood levels have been good, and I can tell they're good because I feel good.

Thanksgiving was great for us, and the girls and Barry helped out quite a bit, so that made it even nicer. We put the tree up on Friday, and our decorations and ornaments on the tree are a quite a feat due to the sheer number. We've been married for more than 27 years, and there are literally hundreds of ornaments on our tree, so many with a special meaning. Some of these have been purchased by us and others have been gifts, but they all make for a beautiful, old-fashioned Christmas tree. Everybody knows the Bates' family loves us some Christmas!

For those of you who know me well, you know first that I'm a bargain shopper, and the wrapping and bow-ing may actually cost more than the actual gift. It takes time for these magical masterpieces to be ready for placement under the tree, and I have tried to pace myself with the packages. After a few days of wrapping just a few at a time, I've come to the conclusion that the pain in my low back and hips (wrapping on the floor) is more from age instead of from chemo, and it would hurt me regardless! I know, I could move everything to a table or countertop, but that's the way I've always done it. May be time for a change. :)

Barry and Traci are in Jonesboro tonight for a reception for her being selected as one of 38 students from ASU for Who's Who Among American College Students, and she was the only non-resident student selected for the honor. We're very proud of her!

Kelsey made it back to school just fine yesterday in spite of heavy traffic after Thanksgiving. She is very busy this week with rehearsals for Festival of Christmas, her performance Friday for Performing Arts Class and a Concerto Competition next week. We bought her a beautiful black dress for her competition, and she looks lovely in it. Very proud of her, too!

So to wrap up this typed package, I am feeling good and doing well in spite of cancer treatments. I think people are surprised when I tell them I'm not sick, and I keep expecting it, but it hasn't happened. For that, I'm truly thankful. Things may change, but each good day is such a blessing, and I'm not taking them for granted. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment