Wednesday, February 8, 2012

September 30, 2010

Barry and I just came in from seeing the surgeon, and he says my incisions look great, and I can now take a shower! Thank you, Lord! I still have the little drain tube, and I'll apparently be carrying that with me for a while until the fluid reduces significantly. Although the drain is a pain in the butt to deal with, I figure that fluid isn't building up under my arm if it's draining away from me.

The pathology report showed that four of the twenty lymph nodes removed were positive for cancer, and they were the four closest to my right breast. The doctor feels we have gotten all the cancer, but just to be sure, the oncology docs will probably send me to have a full body CT scan or a PET scan in the next couple of weeks. The plans have not changed as to treatment, but the pathology report will give the oncologists the knowledge they need on how to address the cancer. I will recover from surgery for four or five weeks, then have radiation for about five weeks, then I will start chemotherapy (probably pills and IV) for four to six months. I'm not looking forward to any of the treatment, but I do want to survive! I am at the beginning of Stage 3 cancer based on the original tumor, the involvement of the nodes, and then the aggressive nature of the cancer.

I asked the doctor today what symptoms point to cancer if I had not found the little lump, and he said many times people don't learn of their cancer until it is further advanced. I guess I'm lucky. Sounds kind of weird saying I'm lucky if I have cancer, but that's kind of how I feel today.

I actually had someone call the house today to make sure that I was still alive because this person had read an obituary of another Vicki Bates in Arkansas, and they had also heard I had a health issue. I'm going to chalk this up to the fact that this person just didn't think about what it sounded like before they called asking questions of this nature. Think people! What I need most and what other cancer patients need most are your prayers. I must say the food has been nice, too!

Please know that I am alive, doing pretty well, and I am still going to be bossy and stubborn. I am still a hard worker, and I am still going to do all of the things that I have been doing all my life. I truly do feel the same this week as I did last week (apart from the surgery discomfort), and I am the same person. No need to whisper or feel sorry or count me out. I have just joined a band of survivors, and I'm proud to be in the club!

p.s. Thank you so much to First Baptist Church, Cabot, Arkansas for adding me to your Faith Support Ministry. I will be listening to the encouraging songs on the CD, and I was so touched by the mongrammed lap blanket with my name and the breast cancer ribbon, and the scripture reference of II Tim. 1:7. What an awesome ministry, and thank you to the Newkirk family for giving them my name.

I have a list of thank you's to write, and I promise I will get to that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment