Wednesday, February 8, 2012

January 8, 2011

I've had a good week and even better past few days. My blood work was good on Thursday, but my red blood count has been a bit low each time it's been checked. So I've tried to be diligent about eating iron-rich foods, and I think the only thing I'm being successful at is gaining weight. I didn't mention that, but yes, I gained another two pounds this week! I would love to blame it on the steroids, and I know they do affect a person's appetitite, but really, two more pounds? I just want to add iron!

I've thoroughly enjoyed having my girl's home/out of school these past few weeks. Kelsey bought my groceries for the week yesterday, and she just about had dinner ready (steak - high in iron) by the time I got home last night. Both Traci and Kelsey have tried to help out and do whatever I've needed or asked them to do around the house, and it's been fun getting to visit with them without the stresses of school upon them.

Barry worked hard at finishing up on putting Christmas "stuff" away today, and I think he would agree that it just seems to multiply each year! He worked out in the cold garage boxing things up for a couple of hours today, bless his heart.

Tonight the four of us played a game called "Smart Ass" that I gave Barry for Christmas this year. I don't think any of us expected it to be so much fun, and we haven't laughed that much or that hard in a long time. Laughter is so healthy and so good.

And I got a fun care package today from my good friends, Van, Julie and Marnie Barrett. There were three books - "The Blue Day Book", "Angel Hugs for Cancer Patients" and "B.O.O.B.S. - A Bunch of Outrageous Breast-Cancer Survivors", a breast cancer survivor candle from Pier One and several encouraging notes. It meant so much to get this from them and even more because I know they have walked this journey and know where I am.

I have also realized recently that it hits me harder when I learn of friends with a new diagnosis of cancer. I want to be able to pray for them, and I do, but it hits me hard just knowing what they are going through. And I often wonder why I have been so self-absorbed in the past that I pretty much lived my life without realizing just how many people are out there dealing with life-changing, painful, very serious health issues that commandeer their lives. The only answer I have to that is it is so easy to live in our own little worlds, and as long as our world isn't shaken, we are fine. I'm working on changing that aspect of my life.

Several times a week I encounter people whose lives have been touched by cancer, and again there is an instant bonding feeling with those people. I've shared about my bond with my chemo friend, Gretta, and I visited with her on Thursday for about ten minutes before her chemo. We talked about how short-tempered we had both been with our husbands, describing this unexplainable fatigue we have both experienced. Even though we are different ages, getting different chemo treatments with different diagnoses, we have so much in common just walking this journey.

Just as the Barrett's know where I am, I know some of where they've been. My survival journey is taking me to places I haven't been before, and it's showing me just where other cancer patients are in their journey. And although my world's been shaken up, I'm seeing more clearly now.

(Thank you to those of you who post such wonderful, encouraging notes in the guestbook. I know many of you have walked this journey, too.)          

No comments:

Post a Comment