Thursday, February 9, 2012

May 18, 2011

My PET scan was free of any cancer!  I can't tell you how excited I have felt ever since Barry and I got this news today--it's like I have a new lease on life, an extension on an assignment.

On Monday morning, I realized about 10:15 that it was the same morning that President Obama was flying in to Memphis to speak at the graduation ceremony for Booker T. Washington High School.  The ceremony was in the Cook Convention Center in downtown Memphis, and I had to drive right past there to get to my PET scan.  I ran out of the office wondering if I would make it on time, and I wondered even more when I was sitting in traffic in the middle of the bridge while the Secret Service had traffic at a standstill while the President entered the convention center.  Traffic eventually began to move, and I made it to the imaging center with 10 minutes to spare!

Back in October, I detailed what happens with a PET scan, so I won't tell as much about it now, but I tried to relax as best I could during the hour that the radioactive isotopes coursed through my body.  I wondered what I would do if they lit up during the test showing any cancer and if eight rounds of chemo had been for naught.

During the actual scan, which last about 30 minutes, I closed my eyes and envisioned President Obama speaking to hundreds of graduates just a few miles away. I knew he was challenging them to grow, to learn and to go out and do good things, and to live their lives to the fullest.  I wondered if I would be able to continue with my hopes and dreams in tact or if they would be crushed because of stupid cancer.   I finally decided as I lay there on the table, that none of us know where the crooks and turns of our lives will take us.  We can make a plan, but things don't always turn out the way we want.  It's just the same for the BTW graduates as it is for me.  We all have hills and valleys along the way.

I have been so blessed by so many people along this journey.  My mother has driven me crazy with the love she has for me, but she has called me at least once a day, sometimes two times--just to see how I'm doing.  Barry's mom came and stayed with us right after my surgery, and she helped Barry and Traci to "understand" how they could help me over the toughest months.  My friend, Tracy, has ministered to me with cards, gifts and little notes each week, and I thank God for her.  My friends, the Baber's have fed us manya meal and been there when we needed them.  My boss and his wife have been amazing with patience for time spent away from the office.  They challenged me frequently to "Fight Like a Girl!" and I've tried to do that.  One lady in Oklahoma whom I don't know has sent me a card of encouragement and promise of prayers every single week for the past nine months, and it makes me feel so good when she writes, "Dear Child," at the top of each card--I feel like a small child in God's hands when I get one of her sweet notes.  Faith Baptist Church in Cabot has continued to send cards and letters and e-mails of encouragement, and these folks don't know me either, other than my name being given to them.  They are fulfilling their ministry to cancer patients in a bold and wonderful way.  Hillside Baptist Church in Camden has sent me prayer cards from their wonderful Wednesday Night Prayer Ministry, and those cards have meant so much.  Judy Cockrill from FPC has cooked for us several times, and she has called and sent sweet notes to lift us up.  My EEE gal-pals from college have covered me with prayer and e-mails and notes of hope along the way.  Many, many people have prepared food, done little tasks for us (Will!), sent notes of encouragement or just been there, ready with a hug, and I can't list them all by name.

Last Friday when the PET scan appointment was set up after learning of the tumor markers, I was pretty down wondering how it would turn out.  Friends Becky and Will Walker called and wanted to eat dinner with us just to be there--ministry of presence.  Nothing changed about the appointment during dinner, but we laughed and talked and basically fellowshipped.  God sends us what we need if we just watch for it.

Now that this "little" scare is behind me, ya'll please pray as I really DO begin radiation therapy next Wednesday.  I think I can do anything with your prayers and with God's help.  Radiation may not be a piece of cake, but I will walk through it as part of this continuing journey.  You praying people rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment