Thursday, February 9, 2012

May 24, 2011

Well, I'm all painted up like a hussy, but the paint's not on my face, it's on my right breast and chest.  I'm not kidding---lovely blue Sharpie markings now adorn my body, and the hash marks have little sticky tape on them to keep them from washing off for the next six weeks.  My simulation was yesterday so that the technician could do a run through on my treatment to make sure things were lined up appropriately for the radiation beam, and the doctor had to look at all of it one more time before radiaiton got started.

When I left the office yesterday, the tech told me they might do my first treatment today if the doctor gave the go ahead, and he did, so I had radiation this afternoon at 1:00.  I keep thinking I feel something where I was radiated, but I think it's all in my head at this point.    They say fair-skinned, blue-eyed individuals tend to burn more readily, so I may see some "sunburn" sooner than others.  We'll see.

From now on, I will have my radiation therapy at 8:30 each morning, and it should last about 20 minutes (30 if you count clothing removal and drive time).  I will have 25 days of the radiation such as I got today with doses from four different angles, and then I will get eight (8) doses of a "boost" as the tech called it directed straight to the tumor area.

I lay there on the treatment table this afternoon with my chin turned to the left trying to keep my chin out of the field of radiation, and I focused on the ceiling as best I could.  It was a pretty boring area of the room, but I did notice there was a metal mesh covering over the light fixture.  I'm going to have to ask why that's there because I don't imagine there's much that ever gets close to those lights.  The mesh covering kept my mind occupied for a good part of treatment, but I'm easiy amused.

I asked the tech if I had more questions than any of her other patients, and she said rather diplomatically, "You don't know unless you ask".  Hmmm.  I have seen waaayyyyy too many people come in and just go through whatever treatment they are given without asking anything, and many of them do whatever just because the doctor told them to do it.  I hope the doctors, nurses and technicians aren't too tired of me, but maybe I'm helping them to stay on top of their game by asking questions since they are educating me, too.

Traci, Kelsey and Barry are all pitching in to help me more now that radiation has started.  I came home to a wonderful dinner of Greek Lasagna (Pastitsio) prepared by Kelsey yesterday.  She also planted flowers all over the yard and in several flower pots on the patio.  Traci has been helping with dishes, and she has made major progress on Spring cleaning and redecorating of her room.  And Barry does whatever I ask him to do.  He'll say, "What do you have planned for me today?"  I think that's pretty considerate. =)

Oh, I meant to mention that I have a "seroma" that showed up in my PET scan.  I didn't even know I had it since it's not causing me any discomfort.  A seroma is a fluid-filled area that commonly develops after surgery, and mine probably occurred sometime after my first PET scan in October since it didn't show up in the scan.  It's been there ever since, and it's not harmful to me, and my body will probably re-absorb the fluid at some point.  Dr. Obaji said that I could have it drained, but I told him it was like having a free mini breast implant, and I thought I'd keep it for a while since it wasn't bothering me.

Well, I'm doing well so far from my first radiation treatment.  Life is full and good.  We're getting a new fence and a new roof soon as a result of the storms.  Kelsey's taking a summer school class and collecting things for her school apartment in the fall.  Traci's substitute teaching and looking for a permanent teaching job.  Barry's finishing out the school year at MIS and looking to teach a summer school class in June for ASU.  I'm just busy with work.  Oh yeah, and radiation.

No comments:

Post a Comment