Wednesday, February 8, 2012

September 26, 2010 - Cancer surgery

I woke up before my alarm this morning thinking, "This time tomorrow, I'll be checking in at the hospital." Yikes! And with good thoughts for tomorrow, I am hoping and praying for the best outcome possible. I trust my surgeon who is very young, but I think that means he may have brand new knowledge and be on the cutting edge of medicine. Get it, "cutting edge"? LOL! That's my crazy sense of humor, folks.

Yesterday was a good day in that I did a lot of things that I might not get to do again for a while because of lifting and pulling restrictions after surgery. I worked in my flower beds at the front of the house realizing that I probably wouldn't do more than water them again until next Spring, and Barry planted beautiful mums in the front and back flower beds for all of us to enjoy for a while.

The trip to the get the mums at the nursery turned out to be fun, and Traci went with us to help choose colors. The place was filled with mums of every color and size imaginable, and at one point, she said, "I could just stay here all day. This looks amazing!" And there was a nice, peaceful quality about the place with the flowers placed neatly in rows of budding color. Kind of reminded me of the Wizard of Oz when they come upon the field of poppies toward the end of the movie. Barry and I had to smile about Traci's joy in choosing the mums because it was such a simple pleasure to experience.

And then Kelsey was determined to come home for my surgery, but she had commitments at school that she wanted to take care of first. She worked at Tiger Serve Day at Ouachita yesterday where they do clean-up, yard work, etc. for people in need in the community, and then she marched in the half-time show with the band last night before leaving to come home. Although she was driving at night, she wanted to be here on a "normal" night before the surgery. I went on to bed, and Barry sat up to wait for her. When she came in, she crawled in bed with me and I'm not sure if she held me or I held her for about 15 minutes. How precious and wonderful is that? I love my girls.

I just prepared some cheese scones for breakfast at Kelsey's request, a recipe from Sharon Cosh that the girls have loved for years. I love preparing foods that have memories all rolled up in them just at the sound of the name. Then the taste brings back a flood of memories from different times and places. I'm afraid I like all things "food" a little too much!

Anyway, enough about yesterday. You guys please keep us in your prayers. We are trying to be as normal as we can be, which wasn't ever very normal to start with! I do have fear and anxiety, but I am pushing on in spite of the fear. I trust in God to lead us through this, and I know He is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment