Wednesday, February 8, 2012

October 9, 2010 - Wig Consult

Well friends, the picture you see posted above is me in my new wig. (If I can figure out how to post the picture from CaringBridge, I'll do it!)  It's called "Whisper" from the Raquel Welch product line. The consultant at Great Hair Everyday was wonderful, patient and kind, and she gave me/us tons of information about hair loss with chemo and care for the wig. I had no idea there were so many people who wear wigs just for fun, and if you know me well, you know I am a person who doesn't like change, and I've had the same hairstyle for 20 years--no color, no fuss. The ease of wearing a wig just might change me forever! The consultant, Connie, put a little stocking thingy on my head, kind of like a skull cap, and we began the process of trying on wigs and shaping them to work for me. Just about every wig was oriented to a right handed person (you know, part on the left side so that when you comb or brush your hair, the majority of the hair is on the right side) so Connie would spritz the wig with water and change the part just for my left-handedness. With my audience of critics behind and beside me, we weeded through several wigs right away. Traci wanted me to have something very different for a change, but I told her with so much change happening in my life right now, I didn't want anything to radically different or I wouldn't feel myself. That helped us to narrow it down to a short style, but you'll be pleased to know I did decide to go with some highlights!

As we were wrapping things up, I took the wig off as Connie said, "You're not going to wear it home?" And then I looked in the mirror to see my hair, flat as it could be from all of the close fitting wigs pressing it down. With the way I looked, I didn't have a choice but to wear it out of the shop!

From there, we dropped off my sewing machine for some repairs, and I thought it was strange that the man who helped me didn't look at me as if I had two heads or that I looked like someone trying to play dress-up. Amazing. Then we went to the mall so I could find some soft "chemo" outfits as I call them, and as I browsed the racks of clothing, I kept looking up to smile at other shoppers, and no one gawked or stared at me. I almost asked a woman if she could tell I was wearing a wig, but then I thought about how time-consuming it was to tell the whole cancer story that it might lead to, so I just kept shopping, knowing that I had a secret. I did feel conspicuous, but not enough that I didn't have a good time with Barry and the girls.

Kelsey made me buy a pair of leopard print glasses to go with what she says is my "sassy" new look. I told her I've always been sassy on the inside, but I 've just camouflaged it well!

One of my friends asked that I try on a "sexy" wig (She used another word, but we won't go there!), but let's face it people, even with a sexy wig, it ain't happening. I told my sister-in-law, Dana, this week, that I was a Taylor, and we have big old Charlie Brown heads. Nothing sexy about that!

Even with the purchase of a cute wig, I'm still not looking forward to losing my hair, and I think it will be a very emotional process as it happens. Connie sold me some gel that she says her chemo customers swear by that helps keep eyelashes and eyebrows from falling out, and although it was expensive, I went ahead and purchased some because I want to stay sassy looking! One good thing that came to my mind about chemo hair loss, though, is that perhaps I'll lose these stubborn chin hairs that plague women in their 40's!

I won't be wearing the wig for a few weeks, but if you see this person out and about, please don't focus on the differences. Look into my eyes and see the person who is still there--the sassy me who is still inside, under the wig, behind the camo.          

No comments:

Post a Comment